*On the first page of a brand new diary*

May 23, 1875

OK, I've finally done it. Elle used to always tell me that I needed to write down what life was like out here. Both because, she said, I have a way with words, but also so the children have a record of what life was like for us settling out here.

I first thought to start by writing all our history in one go. From our leaving Colorado, to our first year and a half in the Valley. All the people that have come and gone, the loved ones we have lost and gained, but I realized that is an awful lot to write before I light candles for Shabbat.

So, while the challah is rising a second time and the babies are napping I will say a little about what happened this past couple of weeks.

Brigs' sister, Elle, is lost to us. It is not clear if she just disappeared back into the jungle she used to live in, or is more permanently gone, but it became clear to us that she is not coming back. I am keeping the letter we got about her disappearance and the letter they found addressed to Brigs and me because someday I know I will share it with the children, when they are old enough to handle the tough answers.

We had been taking care of her boys, Xavier and Joseph, and the little girl she adopted, Ember Joy. And when we found out that Elle was not returning Brigs had me draft a letter to the circuit judge to adopt the children. In Ember's case, as she came to Elle through an orphanage, all we needed was leave from the orphanage to bring Ember into our household. With Xavier and Joseph, however, there was the issue of their birth father, Kane Wainwright. 

As the judge explained to me when I handed over the paperwork, even though Kane had not seen the boys in just about 2 years, he was still their father, and could assert his legal rights at any time. The judge drafted paperwork to have the children officially signed over to our custody, and privately promised to ensure that the papers got signed.

It took a couple weeks, and a certain level of pressure from the judge, but we got the papers signed. So now the Pinkerton clan is complete. And at this point there is no 'ours' and 'hers', they are all ours. 

After Shabbat I will write more, but for now I need to finish the Challah and get everyone their baths.


*************************************************

The letters will be in separate posts... after Shabbat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog